In this article
Updated by Steward Team
While the majority of users will be able to create their Steward accounts without a hitch, under some circumstances our payment facilitator may add additional steps to the account creation process.
If during your account creation you are emailed with one of the following messages, you can find below the reason for this error and how to resolve it to continue with your Steward loan participation.
Message - Verification document needed
Additional documentation is required to verify your account. Please log in and upload an ID verification document.
Additional documentation is required to verify your identity, or that of the entity that you are lending on behalf of.
Go to the Account section of the Steward Dashboard and upload the required identification documents.
Business files can be uploaded in .pdf format
Documents to identify an individual can include the following:
- A current, valid passport
- A current state issued driver's license
Documents to identify an entity (a trust, an LLC etc.) can include the following:
- Limited Liability Corporation (LLC): EIN Letter (IRS-issued SS4 confirmation letter)
- Partnership: EIN Letter (IRS-issued SS4 confirmation letter)
- Trust: Trust agreement
- Corporation: Articles of incorporation
- Non Profit: Articles of incorporation
- Sole Proprietorship: One or more of the following, as applicable to your sole proprietorship: Fictitious Business Name Statement; Certificate of Assumed Name; Business License; Sales/Use Tax License; Registration of Trade Name; EIN documentation (IRS-issued SS4 confirmation letter); Color copy of a valid government-issued photo ID (e.g., a driver’s license, passport, or state ID card)
Other business documents that are applicable includes any US government entity (federal, state, local) issued business formation or licensing exhibiting the name of the business, or; Any business formation documents exhibiting the name of the business entity in addition to being filed and stamped by a US government entity. Examples include:
- Filed and stamped Articles of Organization or Incorporation
- Sales/Use Tax License
- Business License
- Certificate of Good Standing
Be sure to select 'Other' as your document type when uploading any business-specific documents.
Message - Our payment facilitator has put your account into a retry status
The initial attempt to verify your identity, or that of the entity that you are lending on behalf of, failed because the information provided did not satisfy our payment facilitator’s verification check.
This usually means some details in your account were entered incorrectly and our payment facilitator was unable to confirm your identity.
Log in to your Steward account here and verify that all the information is correct, or make any required adjustments. If you cannot identify any obvious incorrect information, please reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able to provide more specific details.
Message - Account Suspended
We wish to inform you that your Steward account has been suspended.
There are a number of different reasons why our payment facilitator may choose to suspend your account. A suspended account may neither send nor receive funds until it has been resolved. Reasons for suspension can include the following:
- Your information was associated with fraudulent activity and your tax ID has been blacklisted
- You did not input a valid SSN in your account details
Understand why your Social Security Number is required for account creation.
Suspension does not necessarily mean you cannot have an account. If you receive this message from Steward, please reach out to our support team at email@example.com and they will be able to provide more specific details.